Frederick Sidney Ruck 1891 – 1970
Frederick was born on 29th September 1891 in Paddock Wood, to Sidney William, a carpenter, and Mary Ann Ruth (née Athawes).
In the 1911 Census, the family was living at 4 Whittington Terrace and Frederick was working as a carpenter, as was his brother Albert.
He attested on 4th February 1915 at Chatham, having been called up. He joined the 108th Field Company, Royal Engineers, service no. 65540, being described as skilled and 5’ 10” tall.
In 1917 he was recommended for “superior pay”, and in June 1918 was mentioned in despatches in The London Gazette.
Frederick joined the union Amalgamated Society of Carpenters, Cabinetmakers & Joiners on 7th May 1919, stating 11 years in the trade.
In 1927, he married Eva G Grabham in Dover. Sadly, his father died in 1933, having been knocked down by a bicycle on Church Hill, when he was on his way to the Methodist Chapel. The cyclist also knocked Mary down. Sidney was knocked out and transferred to Kent & Canterbury Hospital, but couldn’t be saved. There were no lights on Church Hill at that time and the road was apparently slippery as there had been fog that afternoon. The inquest recorded accidental death and recommended that lighting be installed.
By 1939 Frederick and Eva were living at Carinya, in Shepherdswell, together with Frederick’s mother and a relative of Eva’s. Frederick’s occupation was given as a constructional engineer.
In January 1941 the Dover Express recorded that Frederick was fined 30 shillings at Wingham Petty Sessions, for driving the previous September at night at Sutton with lights showing, in contravention of the black-out regulations at the time. He was living in Westcourt Lane and was described as a ‘clerk of works’.
He died on 16th February 1970, aged 78, and is buried in the churchyard extension in Shepherdswell.