Cam Hill Farm

CAM HILL FARM, Westcourt Lane, Shepherdswell

Many people do not know of the existence of this farm, which was sited where 96 and 98 Westcourt Lane now stand and on land behind them. They were originally one farmhouse, together with fields and a farmyard as one holding.

The land was conveyed to William Jeremiah Smith in August 1898 and subsequently transferred to May Grabham in 1936, whose husband Donald was the son of Frederick Grabham, who farmed at West Court Farm.

At this point, it was a poultry farm. A telephone (no 221) was put in during 1937. Planning permission was granted for an “addition” to the house in 1949.

It was subsequently transferred to Mr PDC Ledger in 1958. Mr Grabham continued to live in the house which was later divided into 2 buildings sometime in the 1960s. It remained in the Ledger family until it was sold in 2014, although from 1960 onwards, there has been some tree growth that has reduced the amount of land available for farming use.



Dover Express 10 June 1932                                              Kentish Express 6 December 1940                                         Kentish Express 25 January 1952

In 2017, planning permission was sought to change one of the remaining farm buildings into a dwelling. The surrounding land is still used for arable farming.