The History Society meets once a month, normally in the Shepherdswell Village Hall.
Every other month we aim to host a talk about a history-related topic that we feel would be of interest to our members. The topics range from medieval to second world war and from local to national.
The talks are delivered by a wide range of historians and researchers, usually experts in their field, and have a reputation for being informative and entertaining.
In between these our History Nights are friendly and informal evenings in which we share information about local history. It is rare not to hear some new and interesting facts about past life. There is always an opportunity to do online research about family or local history, aided by genealogists. History Nights also discuss our on-going projects, which this year include:
- ambitious plans for a permanent memorial to all who participated in the Great War;
- mapping and researching the graves and monuments in Saint Andrews Churchyard and Church;
- plans to protect and place signage at the site of ‘Three Barrow Down’.
Two other events that regularly happen during the year are our ‘Walk Through Time’ in June and our ‘Big History Day’ in September. For more information about these click on the link in the Events Schedule below.
2019 Events are as follows (may be subject to confirmation / alteration)
- February 28th: Dover Trams (1897 – 1936) with Bryan Flood.
- March 28th: History Night
- April 25th: Churchill and the Bomb with Prof. Kevin Ruane. For more information, click here.
- May 30th: History Night.
- June 27th: A Walk Through Time – Westcourt Lane. For more information, click here.
- July 25th: History Night
- August – No meeting
- September 7th: Big History Day. For more information, click here.
- September 26th: Beating the Bounds by Steven Durbridge. For more information, click here.
- October 31st: AGM
- November 28th: The Richborough Camp with Clare Ungerson. For more information, click here.
- Talks – £1 members; £2.50 non-members
- History Nights – Members Free; £1 non-members
For information about past events, click here.
All meetings are at 7.30pm in Shepherdswell Village Hall, unless otherwise indicated.