Become a member of the Shepherdswell & Coldred History Society
Some good reasons to become a member in 2021
Membership brings several advantages, including reduced entry to our many presentations and tours, but for the majority of members the most important benefit is learning more about our local and national history and playing a part in preserving and expanding what we know.
Although we don’t know when things will return completely to normal there is still a lot going on that will interest you:
- we have put our first presentation of 2021 on Youtube. It’s the story of an ME109 that crashed near Westcourt Farm in 1940. We followed it up with a Zoom discussion, and we are planning more on-line talks and chats during the year until we can meet again at the village hall (link below). We will keep you posted.
- we are nearing completion and publication of the long awaited book commemorating all those from the parishes who served in the Great War
- we are working hard with Historic England, the parishes of Nonington and Womenswold, the Kent Archaeological Society, Dover District Council and the Plumptre Estate to save and protect for future generations the 4,000 year old Bronze Age burial mounds on Three Barrow Down which have been described as.. “the forgotten archaeological gem of Kent”
- members are also working hard on a guide to the graves in St. Andrew’s churchyard that will be available to all visitors to our lovely parish church
- our website goes from strength to strength putting more of the history of the villages on-line as we acquire more material
There is something of interest for everyone.
See the January presentation at https://youtu.be/-2HNJcaW4jA
Our membership fees are very modest and help to pay for the running of the Society together with other fund-raising events throughout the year.
Annual membership is normally £10 a year but has been reduced to £5 during the Coronavirus restrictions and can be paid by BACS (see below for details). Under 16’s go free.
If you would like to join our friendly society please feel free to come along to any one of our monthly meetings in the Village Hall to find out more and chat to other members. To see our programme for the year click here.
Alternatively if you would like more information or have a specific question you can email us at email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you and meeting you at one of our meetings.
If you possibly can, please pay by BACS transfer to: Shepherdswell & Coldred History Society, sort code: 20-02-62, account number: 43156214
If you are unable to use internet banking, cheques may be made payable to Shepherdswell & Coldred History Society, and posted to the Acting Treasurer, Brian Flood, 83 Sandwich Road, Whitfield, Dover CT16 3LU.