George Ernest Hammond 1885 – 1964
George was born on 18th June 1885 in Shepherdswell, to George and Mary Ann (née Tickner). He was their third child and first son. In the 1891 Census he is shown living with his parents, older sister Edith and three younger brothers at Botolph Street, Shepherdswell, next door to his grandparents.
By the 1901 Census, the family was shown as living at Railway Close, Shepherdswell but George had already left home by this point. It has not proved possible to find him to date in that Census, however in 1911, he was living at 22 Preston Street, Faversham as a boarder, and was employed as a gardener.
When George enlisted on the 24th August 1914 at Dover, he gave his age as 26 and said that he was born in 1888 in Shepherdswell. His residence was given as 5 Hillside, Shepherdswell and he was employed by Mr Hyde of Zetland, Deal as a chauffeur. His next of kin was given as his father, so all of the details except those of his age tally with the other records that have been found for him. His service no. was 1478 and he was in the 3rd Home Counties (CP) Brigade, 9th Provisional Ammunition Column, as a gunner. He was 5’8” tall, with blue eyes, dark hair, and a dark complexion. He was discharged from here because of “his being called up under the Military Service Act 1916”, although to date it is not clear which regiment he moved on to.
During his time with the Provisional Ammunition Column he had three recorded disciplinary offences; on one occasion he was absent from parade, on another he overstayed his pass and the final recorded episode showed that he disobeyed an order. He was “admonished” for all three.
Following the War, George married Ella Prebble on 19th June 1920 at Holy Innocents Church in Adisham by licence. He gave his parish as Shepherdswell and was working as a haulage contractor.
The 1939 Register gives his occupation as a chauffeur and handyman, living at Moat Cottage, Ashford Road, West Ashford Rural District, with his wife and three children. He was also a special constable.
He died on the 10th October 1964 at St Augustine’s Hospital, Chartham, although his home address was given as Hamella, Pett Lane, Charing near Ashford.